Tuesday 23 March 2010

"Come together, right now ..." (Beatles; Song: Come Together; Album: Abbey Road )

I was aware of wikis because of the C&RD wiki; although I hadn't looked at it for a while as technical services is not really my job area, but because of it I understood what a wiki was. As I couldn't remember my log on details it was useful that you could still gain access via your Facebook or Twitter account.

The Web 2.0 wiki was full of useful information and interesting to look at now I've gained more knowledge of the web 2.0 tools out there. I was a bit hesitant about editing the work someone else had already done, so I looked at the case study for current web 2.0 tools used by the SSL and added some information about the iGoogle start page I helped to set up last year, as I felt this would be useful for other libraries.

Wikis seem to be a really usefuly tool. They are easy to contribute to and edit by multiple users (maybe to easy to edit as someone could easily write false information), and I imagine are much easier than trying to do the same via a web page. They are a simple way for groups of people to log information, discuss ideas, and provided useful comments and tips' all in one central point of reference. I would definitely refer to the web 2.0 wiki in the future before developing use of a web 2.0 tool for the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment