Friday 5 February 2010

"Hope you don't mind that I put down in words" (Ewan McGregor's version from the film Moulin Rouge; Song: Your Song)

Setting up my blog was suprisingly easy, and I soon got the hand of adding posts, editing them and changing my settings. If anything I spent too long changing things around, altering font and colours and adding gadgets; it can soon get quite addictive. My one fear of not being able to think of things to say hasn't come to fruition yet, in fact it's is quite easy to just ramble on and on. The other addictive element is having a nosey at other peoples blogs taking part in 23 things.

So at the moment I am very in favour of blogs but I guess it depends on what they are being used for. Our blogs for 23 things have a definite purpose but I can't imagine keeping a personal one for myself rambling on about what I ate for tea etc. As far as their use in a library environment we currently have one that has been set up for a while that is to keep staff informed of IT problems, lost property, visitors, items for collection and other useful information that they will need to know for their session on the issue desk. We've found it is a good way of keeping e-mails down and a central point that all staff can refer to. It also has the added bonus of having an archive of posts which will be of use in the future (e.g. how to solve a particular IT problem).

I also had a look at some of the OULS Library blogs. They all seemed informative and user friendly and were a good way of getting readers to keep abreast of library news. I can also see they have the added advantage of being much easier to set up and maintain than websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment